THRIVE’S PROFESSIONAL SERVICES TRAINING & EDUCATION
‘Using social and therapeutic horticulture to benefit people with mental health support needs’ is one of Thrive’s most popular courses. It provides information, skills and techniques that will empower participants to confidently use social and therapeutic horticulture to address rehabilitation, recovery, social inclusion, training and employment. The course will take place at Sonairte, The National Ecology Centre, Laytown, Co. Meath. Contact us for future dates on firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2 day course will look at the use of STH with groups of people living with and recovering from the challenges of mental ill health such as depression and generalised anxiety disorder as well as those with more enduring mental ill health. Participants will learn how to create an effective programme of garden related activities that are inclusive and therapeutic for people who may be homeless, challenged by addiction and or unemployed.
As a participant you will learn
• To gain an insight into the role of a horticultural therapist working with people who have mental health support needs
• To begin to design a client-centred social and therapeutic horticulture programme
• To understand the importance of assessment, monitoring, evaluation, horticultural programming and planning for garden projects and for the individuals attending a garden project.
All course materials and handouts are included in the course fee of €230.00
What is Social and Therapeutic Horticulture?
Gardening is a wonderfully flexible medium that can transform lives and gardening can help everyone, regardless of age or disability. The benefits of a sustained and active interest in gardening include:
- Better physical health through exercise and learning how to use or strengthen muscles to improve mobility
- Improved mental health through a sense of purpose and achievement
- The opportunity to connect with others – reducing feelings of isolation or exclusion
- Acquiring new skills to improve the chances of finding employment
- Just feeling better for being outside, in touch with nature and in the ‘great outdoors’
Click here to download the booking form: STH booking for 2017
Local accommodation & transport links (click to go to their websites):
Full Fee €230
(You will see the various payment amounts in the drop down menu when you click on the arrow)